Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bucket Lists & Birthdays


 
WOW! This Saturday was packed full of milestones!
 
Today I marked off an item on my bucket list.
Today I completed my very first half marathon! Yes, 13.1 consecutive miles!
 
Lindsey and I registered for the 3rd Annual Charleston Marathon back in late November. 

 
 
We didn't exactly give ourselves a full 12 weeks of training, but we got right on board & started. We ran our first 6 miles together on Saturday, December 8th. I have to tell you, after reaching that milestone (1/2 way there!), I was super excited and pumped to do long runs on Saturday mornings! For the next 3 weeks, we added a mile to our runs until we reached 10 miles. We never ran further than 10 miles on our runs for the next couple weeks.
 


Before we knew it, the day was here! We were up early and downtown by 7 am. It was COLD at the Start Line. Thankfully, we warmed up pretty fast during the run!


After a LONG 2 hours, 17 minutes & 38 seconds, we were finally DONE! HELLO Finish Line! I have to admit, I wasn't sure I'd make it. I was ready to throw in the towel at mile 12. I was good to go, fine, until that last mile. I'm not sure what came over me, but I hit the proverbial wall... Well more like smashed into it head first! Thankfully, Lindsey was there to give me the encouragement to get my act together and get moving again.


As you can tell from that picture (other than I am NOT a cute runner), I was in pain. My calves were locking up and I was drained. But, I only had two blocks to go! And there was nothing better than seeing MY BOYS at the Finish Line! I was so excited to see their faces and their excitement for me!

 
 
I literally crossed the finish line and collapsed! When I was finally able to stand again, I was thrilled to be able to say I completed my first half marathon! And to do it with my best friend! Remarkable! We rock! 
 
 
(Lindsey doesn't even look like she's winded!)
 
 
And what better to mark our great accomplishment than this awesome metal! I have this hanging on my bathroom mirror for inspiration every day. 
 


And 2 hours, 17 mins and 38 seconds... that is such a great time for our first half! We originally joked that it would take us 3 hours. After a bit of training, we said 2.5 hours was our goal. I finally decided my goal was 2 hours, 15 mins. Guess I did pretty good!


Dan got me a necklace with running charms for Christmas. I have a charm for 5K, 10K and now I have one for 13.1! I love this necklace and it represents my passion. It's so funny to think that I used to hate to run. And in two years, I've run 10+ 5Ks, a 10K and now a Half! I'm actually excited every Saturday AM to run our long runs. I'm passionate about going to the gym and cross training. I'm very happy with how far I have come!

 
 
Directly after finishing our race, we hopped in the car and headed back home. Daddy had to get his suitcases and head to the airport to fly out to Texas for his new job :(
After a quick shower, Stryker & I loaded up with Granny to head to Lexington for our Miss Maddison's very first birthday! Granny drove so I could finish my make-up and rest... Stryker was the only one able to catch a quick snooze though.
 



Lorie did the CUTEST little ladybug theme for our princess! She had all the cutest decorations, she made the most yummiest lady bug cake and even Miss Maddie had on the most adorable little lady bug outfit! I was designated photog for Lorie while she entertained and managed the party so I didn't get many pictures on my camera. I can attest though that we had a great time celebrating! And Maddison was thrilled with her party, her gifts, the attention... but not so much a fan of the cake! She really enjoyed opening her gifts and even gave up a few times to play!


 
 
So, January 19 will go down in history... Rachel completes her first half and our baby girl niece turns ONE! Happy Birthday little one and many, many more!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment